Saturday, July 28, 2012

Fly Fishing Central Oregon



 Summer fly fishing in Central Oregon can be some of the best around. As a guide for the Central Oregon area I am lucky enough to be able to see so many different types of hatches on so many different types of water.  From salmon flies, pmd's, green drakes, blue wings and caddis on the rivers to fishing midges, damsels, callibeatis and trestrial patterns on the lakes Central Oregon has it all!    

The Grindstone Lakes
I enjoy the bugs as much as the fishing more often than not.  It is just amazing to me that  fish can survive on such a small thing as an insect. Hatches are what we look for as a fly fisher.  If we match the hatch we catch fish!
When I take someone new to the sport they tend to look at me as if I've lost my mind when I spot the first few bugs of a hatch. Typically they have no clue what's going on and what they could be in store for. 



 As soon as I see that first fish nose show it's self they really think I've lost my mind.  I frantically start picking through the box's and re rigging rods, while trying to explain what bugs are hatching and how we are going to fish dry flies on the surface. Meanwhile they just stand there scratching their heads wondering why we are going to be fishing on top of the water when the morning lesson just sunk in that 80% of a trouts diet is subsurface and they still don't see those size 18 mayflies being sucked down by that fish down river 40 yards!!
Lake In The Dunes
Eventually they get it and a new passion is found. To them it might be that big fish of the day or the dozen of near misses and encouraging refusals. What ever it was a new fly fisher was born.
For me it was the bugs.  They showed up just like clock work, lived their short life and the cycle was started all over again.

Happy Fishing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment